Sunday, March 4, 2012

Louisville Triple Crown of Running: 1/3

My friend Shelley and I decided several weeks ago to sign up for Louisville's Triple Crown of Running. It is a set of three races that are part of the celebrations leading up to the Kentucky Derby:

March 3: Anthem 5k
March 17: Rhodes City 10k
March 31: Papa John's 10 Miler

Yesterday was the first leg of the Triple Crown. This was the first race I've run since the Mini two years ago, while Shelley has done a couple half marathons and small races since then. We officially began our training at the beginning of January and it started off really great! We were running 4-5 miles on the weekends within a couple of weeks. About three weeks ago I was plagued by some type of achilles/ankle injury/tendinitis. We've slowly gotten back into the groove and now have the first race under our belts. I'm nervous about running 6 miles in two weeks, but am trying not to set my expectations too high. I just want to finish the race; if I have to take it easy and walk a little bit, then that's what I need to do.

Here are just a few pics from the race yesterday. Thanks Shelley for being a really great running buddy!!



Shelley and I before the race. This was taken inside Louisville Slugger Field.



Almost 9,000 runners participated in the Anthem 5k.




Shelley is super excited! I carried my phone with me to try to capture some pictures along the way.




Excited to be close to the finish line!


No comments:

Post a Comment