Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Christmas Story Obssession

My family grew up watching the movie  A Christmas Story. I'm not sure when it turned into such an integral part of our holiday season, but it has a special place in our celebration every year. Four years ago we actually made up our own trivia game based on the movie; and we're not just talking what-is-ralphie's-little-brother's-name-trivia....we're talking name-the-song-on-the-board-in-the-classroom-trivia. Believe me, my brothers and sisters and I know way too much about this movie. And no, we haven't visited Cleveland to see the house where the movie was filmed, but we will someday!

This year I was particularly excited about an addition to my collection of A Christmas Story items. Over the past few years I've started collecting different items that represent the movie. Maybe someday I'll have my very own replica of the leg lamp...to go right in the middle of my front room window.




I ordered these figurines from Urban Outfitters while I was in college. They were my first purchase, besides the movie of course. They always make an appearance around Christmas. They look so much like the characters!





Someone bought this ornament for me a couple of years ago. Anyone that knows me knows how much my family and I love this movie!




My mom bought this ornament for my siblings and I a few years ago. There is even a small button you can push to hear lines from this scene of the movie. Dan laughs at me every time I press it.




I don't recall when I got this ornament, but I love the depiction of the soap scene!





This ornament was a 2011 addition! One night Dan and I were in Target and I was looking for an ornament for an exchange at school. I happened to see this leg lamp ornament that lights up!! I had to have it, but not for my ornament exchange. We bought it for our tree at home.


This leg lamp fleece blanket was bought in 2009. I use it all during the Christmas season.




This cookie cutter was a very exciting addition this year. It was featured in the November issue of Food Network magazine, and I practically jumped out of my seat upon seeing it. I knew I had to order it. Every year I make and decorate Christmas cookies...how perfect would these look amidst the others?! I could hardly wait to use it!




After several hours of baking, cooling, making royal icing, coloring the icing, and carefully piping every part, the leg lamp cookies were complete. They turned out very well for my first try.




They were quite FRA-GEE-LAY once they were baked. My mom forbid anyone to eat them until after Christmas. Finally on the 30th when we were all leaving Fulton to go home, she let us eat one.


1 comment: